Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Example of Extruder Motor Eating Filament
06-29-2013, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2013 11:39 AM by mike.)
Example of Extruder Motor Eating Filament
Hey Makers,

Here is a video of what it sounds like when the extruder motor is chewing on the filament. Listen for the clicking. During this time, the printer will not be laying down plastic. The clicking will eventually go way, when the motor cuts a smooth semi-circle from the filament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKQNejkzV7Q

Here is a photo of the filament I pulled out. The end is broken, and there is 3/16" of a sawtooth pattern on one side, and above that a semi-circular area has been rubbed away from the filament.

If this happens, just remove the filament, cut it clean, reinsert, and extrude 25-50mm of filament unit you are sure it's running clean. Of course, you'll lose the print going forward, or most of it, unless you catch this right away and pause it, because you'll have moved up on the Z axis, and will be "dry printing" in the air.

Not sure how this happened, but I suspect a flaw in the filament. When changing the roll later, a 9" section of filament just fell away without any pressure, no "breaking" sound, or any bending. Any theories are welcome, but mainly I wanted to share the video.

This happened about 1h20m into a 1h30m print, but four of the five parts were serviceable, and the fifth I simply reprinted.

The filament in question was an Octave Orange 1.75mm, and came straight out of the shrink wrap for this print. It was rolling on a newly printed Octave spool adaptor, but I have since sanded the adaptor down so it is smoother (in case the added resistance of a roughly cleaned spool adaptor was at all related.)

And my thanks to James! He helped me look into this at 9 o'clock in the evening...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Example of Extruder Motor Eating Filament - mike - 06-29-2013 11:37 AM