Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nozzle guard
02-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Nozzle guard
Thanks to my trouble with the insulation boot, I was looking at the nozzle and heater assembly, and thought a cover of some kind might be needed.
Since prints will mess up from time to time my problem probably wont be the first or last of its kind.

What happened was - my print didn't stick to the bed and the printer kept printing this resulted in a massive blob of plastic being stuck to the nozzle for a long time and melting onto it and pushing the insulation around as well. The solution I came up with was a small cover that screws into the fan shroud that would only let a small part of the nozzle protrude. It would prevent bad prints from melting to the nozzle and heating element, and keep them from pushing the insulation off as well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2013, 07:03 PM
RE: Nozzle guard
(02-18-2013 07:54 PM)Alpha 01 Wrote:  ... The solution I came up with was a small cover that screws into the fan shroud that would only let a small part of the nozzle protrude. It would prevent bad prints from melting to the nozzle and heating element, and keep them from pushing the insulation off as well.

Thanks for the suggestion.

We do need to allow the print-cooling blower air to flow around and past the head, so I don't think we can attach something to the fan shroud itself (unless I misunderstand).

But if we make the shield small, and had the shield around and underneath just the hot end block, that only let the bottom part of the nozzle protude, it might work as you intend.

We don't want to make it difficult to change the nozzle, or make the hot end bulky or difficult to manufacture either, so it might not be easy to accomplish this.
02-19-2013, 10:57 PM
RE: Nozzle guard
(02-19-2013 07:03 PM)edkman Wrote:  
(02-18-2013 07:54 PM)Alpha 01 Wrote:  ... The solution I came up with was a small cover that screws into the fan shroud that would only let a small part of the nozzle protrude. It would prevent bad prints from melting to the nozzle and heating element, and keep them from pushing the insulation off as well.

Thanks for the suggestion.

We do need to allow the print-cooling blower air to flow around and past the head, so I don't think we can attach something to the fan shroud itself (unless I misunderstand).

But if we make the shield small, and had the shield around and underneath just the hot end block, that only let the bottom part of the nozzle protude, it might work as you intend.

We don't want to make it difficult to change the nozzle, or make the hot end bulky or difficult to manufacture either, so it might not be easy to accomplish this.

I will see if I can design something to better illustrate my idea.